Thursday, March 10, 2011

Sister, sister!

Since the process started, my sister and I have been spending more free time together than we have in the past 10 years. For my family, this situation has brought us closer. We needed assistance expanding the family, and my sister was willing to help. Any children resulting from this will be loved in a very special way, since it took so much love (and $$!) to bring them into this world.

When my parents heard that sister agreed to do it, my Dad–a generally unemotional guy–shed tears. A few weeks into the process my sister told me how excited she was to become a "special auntie", and spoil a little one rotten!

We have only informed immediate family about my sister donating to us. My husband and I told close friends that we are doing IVF, but are keeping the timing and details of it to ourselves. Friends kept asking, "So...when are you guys going to start a family?" It's funny how simple questions like that can be hurtful when there's an infertility problem...Even when those asking have the very best intentions.

If any kids come out of this, we will tell them how they came into this world, and that story will be theirs to tell if they choose to.

2 comments:

  1. It's so great to see you blogging so much. I agree that it's best to tell children where they come from right at the start as I think everyone deserves to know their true biological history. Especially when you have a birth story as special as your kids (and hopefully mine) will have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading. I'm so glad to be able to hear your story as well, which is so similar to mine!

    ReplyDelete