Thursday, March 3, 2011

Here goes nothing...

I've started this blog in an attempt to maintain a modicum of sanity throughout this donor egg/ ivf process. Let's hope it works! Wheee!

Let's get the history out of the way:

I'm 29 years old and married the love of my life in April 2010. We wanted to start a family IMMEDIATELY, but discovered I had a fibroid that should be removed before embarking on the baby journey. After losing an ovary years ago due to an emergency surgery, I was disappointed to wait (to say the least.) Last June, days after our honeymoon, I had the successful myo to remove the fibroid. Then waited two months to recover.

And waited. And waited. After stopping birth control, NOTHING HAPPENED. Two months, and no AF. After insisting on getting tested to see what was going on, I was diagnosed with premature ovarian failure. Crushed.

The doctor suggested donor eggs. Crushed again. Suggested I ask a sister, or cousin. My younger sister is afraid of needles and regularly poo-poo's motherhood and pregnancy, so that didn't seem an option. The thought of using an anonymous donor was very hard on me as I am from a mixed ethnic background, and no one, I repeat...NO ONE has the same features and ethnic make-up as my family. But I'd do an anon donor egg in a heartbeat if it would bring me a healthy child.

 This brings me to the conversation. The one where I tell my sister that the doctor said I have no eggs, and need to use an egg donor. The words "EGG DONOR" were barely out of my mouth when my sister interrupted with, "You can have my eggs! I'm not using them!" And then I think she followed with something like, "Anonymous donor, WHO?"

Funny I thought she would never consider it. People show you their true hearts when you are in real need. I also have an older half-sister. She is 45, and after I told her our younger sister would do it, she said she had previously wondered if she was still young enough to donate to me if needed. Wow...

Fast-forward to today. Pre-testing done, legal done, and everything lined up. My RE should be doing the calendars tomorrow, and she gave a ballpark retrieval date for 5 weeks from now. Seems like this might really happen, and boy am I ready!

1 comment:

  1. Bonjour J'espere

    It's great to read your story which is very similar to mine except I was diagnosed with POF when I was 36 - I found it devastating.

    It's wonderful your sister has offered to be your donor. I agree that any egg would be lovely but there is something extra special about your sister's eggs.

    Please keep us posted with how everything goes/how you are feeling.

    Best of luckx

    ReplyDelete